The Downers Grove Junior Woman’s Club Mission
The Downers Grove Junior Woman’s Club is a philanthropic organization dedicated to supporting our community. The money we raise supports local children, high school students, senior citizens, the abused, the ill, the homeless, victims of tragedy and needy families. We are a group of women who give ourselves freely to help others not as fortunate in our community.
The Downers Grove Junior Woman’s Club Financial Contributions to the Community
The Downers Grove Junior Woman’s Club has been, and continues to be, a committed source of hope in the form of emotional and financial support throughout the Downers Grove and surrounding areas for the past 50 years. In the past year we have:
- Provided a special $10,000 grant to The DuPage Senior Citizens Council.
- Donated more than $5,000 to over 15 different local charities including SEASPAR, Sharing Connections, Hope’s Front Door and Noah’s Hope.
- Purchased a new laptop for Community Adult Daycare.
- Financially supported well-deserving families and individuals in their time of need. This past holiday season, the Club’s funds brightened the holidays by raising nearly $3,000 for gifts for local needy children and their families:
“When I picked them (the children) up to take them to the first day back to school from break, they were both wearing the clothes and had big smiles on their faces. You not only have given them new clothing to wear that fits and is nicer than anything they have had, you have also given these two more confidence and you have lifted their heads a bit. Thank you so very much for making this year’s Christmas quite special.”
The Downers Grove Junior Woman’s Club Support of Education in the Community
Support of education within the community is a cornerstone of The Downers Grove Junior Woman’s Club with annual recognition of both educators and students. In the past year we have:
- Rewarded $4,000 in scholarships to District 99 college bound seniors.
- Recognized three local educators with the “Outstanding Teacher Award” after local area students applied on his or her behalf.
- Presented “Junior High Art Awards” to six local middle school students in appreciation of their talents.
The Downers Grove Junior Woman’s Club Volunteer Efforts in the Community
The Downers Grove Junior Woman’s Club is involved in numerous service projects throughout each year. Efforts range from service projects conducted during our general meetings to group volunteer efforts. In the past year we have:
- Organized and executed Safety Town for incoming kindergarten students.
- Maintained cleanliness on Maple Avenue through Adopt a Highway program (for the last 10 years).
- Donated 20 brand new cleaning buckets full of household cleaning items to Sharing Connections.
- Created and delivered Valentine’s Day Cards made by children of members along with hats/mittens to The DuPage Senior Citizens Council.
- Participated in monthly P.A.D.S. fruit delivery to St. Mary’s of Gostyn.
- Volunteered at The Education Foundation of District 58 Oktoberfest and Helping Girls Navigate Adolescence Pancake Breakfast.
- Instructed 20+ teenagers at our annual Babysitting Clinic in partnership with The Downers Grove Police Department.
- Collected school supplies for over 20 students in the local area in partnership with Hope’s Front Door.
- Provided Thanksgiving dinners for three local needy families.
- Donated over 30 blankets to Sharing Connections around the holiday season for needy children and teens.
The club meets September through May on the fourth Tuesday of the month (3rd Tuesday on months with Holiday conflicts) at 7:00 p.m. at Emmett's Ale House in downtown Downers Grove with the exception of meetings in April and May.